Give the gift of emergency preparedness this holiday season
Toronto Hydro is reminding customers to plan ahead
TORONTO, Dec. 15, 2017 /CNW/ - Stuck on what to get someone for the holidays? A Toronto Hydro survey conducted earlier this year showed only 9% of customers have emergency preparedness kits. This holiday season is the perfect opportunity to help loved ones be better prepared for unexpected events.
While power outages are usually short and don't happen often, we advise our customers they should be prepared to be without power for up to 72 hours in an emergency. While out shopping for holiday gifts, we're encouraging everyone to take a minute to pick up items such as extra batteries, a flashlight, water and a radio. As you cross items off your list, you'll also be helping friends and family get prepared for potential outages.
When building an emergency kit, remember:
- Pack at least four litres of water per person, per day
- Make sure you have non-perishable food and a manual can opener
- Keep your emergency kit in an easy-to-access location known to all family members
- Don't forget your pets! Have identification on your animals and enough pet food and water in your emergency kit for at least three days
We also recommend that you customize your kit to your family – aging parents, young children and pets may require more preparation.
- In the event of a major outage, we have a website – OutageTO.com – that can be accessed from any device to get the latest news and updates, and sign up for outage notifications
- Never use barbecues, propane heaters or portable generators indoors or in enclosed spaces such as garages, covered porches or sheds – they generate carbon monoxide gas, which can be fatal
"This holiday season is the perfect time to prepare an emergency kit for yourself and your loved ones. Picking up some key items while out shopping can minimize inconvenience and help you stay safe in the event of a prolonged power outage."
-Tori Gass, Media Relations Specialist, Toronto Hydro
ABOUT TORONTO HYDRO
Toronto Hydro owns and operates the electricity distribution system for Canada's largest city. A leader in conservation and demand management, it has 766,000 customers located in the city of Toronto and distributes approximately 20% of the electricity consumed in Ontario.
SOURCE Toronto Hydro