Reporting of Energy Consumption

How to gather and report your energy consumption data.

Are you an owner of a large industrial, commercial or multi-residential property? According to Ontario Regulation 506/18 under the Electricity Act, 1998, large building owners are required to report their energy and water consumption every year [1].

Please note: July 1, 2019 is the deadline for industrial, commercial and multi-unit residential buildings 100,000 square feet and larger.

[1] Electricity Act, 1998, Ontario Regulation 506/18, Reporting of Energy Consumption and Water Use

Downtown Toronto office towers

How to report

Please visit the How to Report section of the Ontario government website to learn how to report your consumption data.

As part of this process, you may be able to gather consumption data from the following Toronto Hydro sources:

  1. Monthly consumption data can be found on your electricity bill under “Your electricity usage.”
  2. Historical consumption data can be found under “Compare your daily usage.”

Need assistance gathering your consumption data?

If you need assistance gathering consumption data, please complete the following steps by no later than April 30, 2019:

  1. Gather your EWRB ID.
  2. Gather the gross floor area of the building(s) for which you're requesting the energy consumption report.
  3. Fill out our Request Form (PDF, 121 KB) and submit it to Please include “EWRB for Large Buildings Request Form” in the subject line.
  4. Allow at least 4 weeks for your request to be processed.

Note: If you designate a third party to submit your request, ensure the authorization section in Section C of the form has been completed.

Energy reporting Frequently Asked Questions

EWRB for Large Buildings is a new regulation (Ontario Regulation 506/18) created by the Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines. As part of this regulation, owners of large commercial, industrial and multi-unit residential buildings must report their annual electricity consumption every year using Natural Resources Canada’s (NRCan) Portfolio Manager software.

To learn more about EWRB for Large Buildings, please visit the Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines website.

The regulation requires owners to report their annual consumption by July 1 of each year. The reporting requirement is being phased in over three years. The second phase impacts owners of commercial, industrial and multi-unit residential buildings of 100,000 square feet and larger – they must report by July 1, 2019.

The chart below indicates when each type of building is required to report its annual energy consumption.

Important Dates for Energy Reporting

Phased mandatory reporting timeline Commercial, Industrial and Multi-unit residential buildings
July 1, 2019 100,000 square feet and larger
July 1, 2020 50,000 square feet and larger

If the information for each property is the same (e.g. corporate name, etc.), a building owner of multiple properties (at different locations) can submit one request form and attach additional information sheets with details on the each property. If the information is different (e.g. different corporate name), multiple forms will need to be submitted.

Yes, third party representatives requesting data for multiple owners should submit separate forms (each owner requires their own request form).

If you have questions, please call the Call Centre at 416-542-8000, Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. or email

The annual consumption is calculated by aggregating all non-loss adjusted billed consumption in the reporting year as is available through the existing metering infrastructure.

The consumption data provided to the requestor will be aggregated so individual consumption data, account numbers, meter numbers and other personal information will not be provided to the requestor.