Toronto Hydro owns and operates an electricity distribution system that delivers electricity to approximately 772,000 customers located in the city of Toronto. We serve the largest city in Canada and distribute approximately 18% of the electricity consumed in the province of Ontario. We're committed to delivering excellent customer service, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity, and delivering long-term value to the City of Toronto.
Learn about what we do and how we operate.
What we do
Toronto Hydro Corporation is a holding company which wholly owns two subsidiaries — Toronto Hydro-Electric System Limited and Toronto Hydro Energy Services Inc. — and is responsible for the following services:
- Supervising the operations of its subsidiaries
- Providing corporate, management services and strategic direction to its subsidiaries
When we refer to "Toronto Hydro," we mean Toronto Hydro-Electric System Limited, which owns and operates the electricity distribution system for the city of Toronto. As of December 31, 2018, we have approximately 772,000 customers located in the city of Toronto and distribute approximately 19% of the electricity consumed in Ontario.
Toronto Hydro is responsible for the following services:
- Delivering safe and reliable electrical power to approximately 772,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in the city of Toronto, which has a population base of approximately 2.9 million people
- Planning, maintaining and aiming to operate our electricity distribution infrastructure efficiently and in an environmentally responsible manner
- Providing consistent, high-quality customer service
Toronto Hydro Energy Services Inc. is responsible for providing street lighting and expressway lighting services in the city of Toronto.
Our role in Ontario's electricity system
The journey of getting power to your home or business involves electricity generation, transmission and distribution. Here's what's involved at each stage of the process:
- Electricity generation
- Nearly half of Ontario’s electricity is generated by Ontario Power Generation, a provincially-owned organization with generating stations across the province that produce electricity from nuclear, hydro and thermal energy sources.
- Electricity transmission
- Once electricity is generated, it’s delivered to urban and rural areas through high-voltage distribution lines that act like highways for transmitting electricity. Hydro One — which owns 30,000 kilometres of transmission lines across 98% of Ontario — supplies electricity to Toronto Hydro.
- Electricity distribution
- Toronto Hydro is responsible for the last step of the journey: distributing electricity to residential and business customers in Toronto.
Toronto Hydro Corporation's sole owner and shareholder is the City of Toronto. As sole shareholder, the city has adopted the Shareholder Direction that sets out corporate governance principles with respect to Toronto Hydro Corporation and its subsidiaries.
The Shareholder Direction requires Toronto Hydro Corporation and its subsidiaries to conduct their affairs and govern their operations in accordance with such rules, policies, directives or objectives as directed by City Council from time to time.
|Electricity delivered||25,291 (GWh)|
|Peak load||4,609 (MW)|
|Overhead wires||15,515 (km)|
|Underground wires||13,207 (km)|
 Peak load occurred on July 5, 2018
|Power source||Percentage of supply mix|