Toronto Hydro attends mutual aid conference in the midst of storm season
North Atlantic Electrical utilities are meeting in Niagara Falls
TORONTO, Oct. 29, 2018 /CNW/ - It's storm season, and just one month after the horrific windstorm that passed through Toronto and devastated the Ottawa area, the North Atlantic Mutual Assistance Group (NAMAG) is convening today for its 2018 fall conference.
Members of Toronto Hydro's emergency management team are participating in the event, which brings together utilities from northeast provinces and states to discuss the processes and protocols involved in sharing resources during times of crisis.
Through panel discussions, presentations and reviews of recent performance, members of NAMAG will work to strengthen mutual aid processes. Conversation will focus around emergency preparedness planning and response, customer communications during outages, resourcing and best practices to improve collective emergency management.
QUICK FACTS/DID YOU KNOW?
- NAMAG is a consortium of 29 utilities from across the North Atlantic that have signed an agreement to share resources during emergencies such as ice storms, tropical storms, hurricanes and other disasters
- In 2018, Toronto Hydro sent 27 employees to the Bronx/Westchester, New York area to help restore power following major storms Riley and Quinn
- Through NAMAG, Toronto Hydro was able to send 27 employees to assist with power restoration in Tampa, Florida following Hurricane Irma in 2017
- Ten different utilities from across Canada, including Manitoba Hydro, arrived in Toronto to help restore power after the 2013 ice storm
"Severe weather like the recent tornado in Ottawa and other major storms in the eastern U.S. have had a major impact on utilities and their customers. Attending these conferences and being a part of NAMAG provides us and other North Atlantic utilities with the ability to coordinate and share resources during times of crisis."
- Sheikh Nahyaan, General Manager, Distribution Grid Operations and Emergency Management, Toronto Hydro
ABOUT TORONTO HYDRO
Toronto Hydro owns and operates the electricity distribution system for Canada's largest city. A leader in conservation and demand management, it has 769,000 customers located in the city of Toronto and distributes approximately 18% of the electricity consumed in Ontario.
SOURCE Toronto Hydro Corporation