The Government of Ontario has introduced the COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) to support residential customers struggling to pay their electricity bills as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. CEAP provides a one-time, on-bill credit to eligible customers in need of financial assistance during this time.
Note: CEAP funding is limited and applications will be processed in the order that they're received (first come, first served). Submitting an application does not guarantee funding.
You may be eligible for CEAP if you meet the following criteria:
- You have a Toronto Hydro account.
- You had no overdue balance on your electricity bill as of March 17, 2020 (the date the Provincial Emergency was declared), or made at least partial payment towards amounts owing from bills prior to March 17, 2020 (including accounts subject to an arrears payment agreement).
- You have an overdue balance from at least two electricity bills since March 17, 2020.
- You have not received Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP) or Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) assistance in 2020.
- You or your spouse/common law partner (who must share your address) qualified for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) or received Employment Insurance (EI) after March 17, 2020.
Customers who are eligible for CEAP may receive one of the following on-bill credit amounts:
- Equal to 50% of your total overdue balance from March 17, 2020 to the date of your application, up to a maximum of $115; or
- Equal to 50% of your total overdue balance from March 17, 2020 to the date of your application, up to a maximum of $230 — this amount applies if your home is mainly electrically heated or someone in your home relies on one of the following at-home medical devices:
- Kidney dialysis machine
- Mechanical ventilators (invasive or non-invasive)
- Oxygen concentrator
How to apply
Note: When completing your application, please input your information exactly as it appears on your bill in order to avoid delays in processing.
The fastest and easiest way to apply for CEAP is by using our online web form, which will help ensure that we receive and process your application as soon as possible.