Electricity and Water Don't Mix!
- Be careful in the bathroom and near sinks. Radios, hairdryers and other electrical appliances are hazardous if you use them near water. If your hands are wet or if you're standing on a damp floor, you could get a serious electrical shock.
- Any plugs that are near sources of water should be GFCIs (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters).
Work Safely with Your Electrical Appliances!
- Not all appliances on the market are safe. Electrical equipment that is poorly designed or manufactured can pose a serious shock or fire hazard. Look for a label such as Canadian Standards Association (CSA) or Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (ULC). They indicate that the product has been tested and meets the requirements of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code.
- Keep appliances in good working order. Check cords for damage, fraying or nicks. Never use a tool or appliance with a frayed cord or where the insulation is nicked and wires are exposed.
- Never handle electrical appliances or equipment with wet hands or while standing on wet ground or in water.
- Watch out for sparks as they're a signal of potential danger. If you see any sparks, turn off and unplug your appliance immediately.
- Keep appliances clean. Clean the removable lint filter on your clothes dryer after each load. Dirt, dust or lint can make appliances unsafe to use; lint and dust are flammable.
- Always disconnect an appliance before cleaning it.
- If you bring used or second-hand appliances to your cottage, make sure they are still electrically safe.