Energy Savings for Offices and Small Businesses
FOR SAVINGS, LOOK AT LIGHTING FIRST, THEN HEATING & COOLING
- Lighting is typically the biggest energy expense for small retailers and offices. Install energy efficient compact fluorescent lamps(CFL) which provide the same lighting level and warmer, more-comfortable lighting colour than standard incandescent light bulbs at a fraction of the cost. Because standard incandescent lights throw off more heat, switching to CFL's also reduces cooling needs.
- Install new high efficiency T8 and T5 fluorescent tubes which last longer (up to 16 years), cast attractive lighting colour and need less maintenance than standard T12 lamps. The new ballasts for the T8s and T5s - electronic instead of magnetic - make the system more efficient and best of all eliminate the annoying hum and flicker.
- Installing occupancy sensors and dimmers in break rooms, restrooms and conference rooms can reduce lighting costs up to 40%.
- Use recommended thermostat set points. Every degree of cooling increases energy use by 4 to 5%
- Install a programmable thermostat to automatically control temperature settings and save 10 to 70% on heating and cooling costs.
- Increase the efficiency of a heating and cooling system by preventing heat gain or loss with insulation, weather-stripping around doors, and shades, awnings or tinting over windows.
- Keep computers on standby. Computers are only used on average 10% of the time they are turned on.
- Consider using ink-jet printers which consume less energy than laser printers.
- Use energy smart power strips that sense when equipment is not in use.
Source: Race to Reduce - Ways to Reduce - Lighting Tips