Energy Savings Ideas for Restaurants
RESTAURANTS HAVE MANY AREAS FOR POTENTIAL SAVINGS:
Look at your HVAC and equipment first
- Use recommended thermostat set points: Every degree of cooling increases energy use by 4 to 5%.
- Install a programmable thermostat to automatically control temperature settings and save on heat and cooling costs.
- Turn exhaust hoods off when possible.
- Fully loaded equipment utilizes energy more efficiently so fill dishwasher to capacity.
- Make sure oven and refrigerator doors fit tightly and gaskets are in good condition. Replace damaged gaskets.
- Replace old high-volume kitchen sprayers with high-velocity, low-flow models and save up to a thousand dollars a year in hot water costs.
- Use high-efficiency griddles and fryers and save up to 30% on your energy usage.
- Purchase insulated cooking equipment whenever possible (e.g. fryers, ovens, coffee machines). Insulation retains more heat in the equipment.
- Don't overload your fryer baskets beyond their recommended capacity as it will increase cooking time.
- Replace conventional equipment with energy efficient models that use less energy and are insulated for increased efficiency.
- Replace old stand alone air conditioning units with energy efficient models and save up to 30 % on your energy cost for air conditioning.
- Don't run your air conditioning with the doors and windows open.
- Turn off any equipment that is idle.