If the whole neighbourhood is without power
If your whole neighbourhood is without power, report the outage to 416-542-8000 and take the following safety precautions:
- If you heat your home/business with electricity, turn your thermostats off or down to prevent damage or injury should a sudden power surge occur when power is restored.
- Unplug computers, televisions, stereos and other equipment that can be damaged if a power surge occurs when power is restored.
- Keep your fridge and freezer doors shut as much as possible. Generally, food will keep for 24 to 48 hours, as long you keep the door closed. See specific temperature and food guide.
- Stay well away from downed power lines and keep pets and children clear too. Report downed lines immediately.
- Do not go near electrical equipment around areas of standing water, like a flooded basement.
- Never use barbecues, propane or portable generators indoors.
- Secure windows and doors as well as outdoor furniture and equipment.
- Park vehicles in protected areas, if available.
- Check with local media outlets for updates.
+ Emergency Resources
If your entire home/busness is without power
If your entire home/business is without power, check your circuit breakers. If any of them are off, turn them back ON. If any of them trip again, or if you're using fuses, call a licensed electrician.
Before calling an electrician, check these items.
If only part of your home/business is without power
If only part of your home or business is without power, there may have been an overload (too many appliances on the same circuit) or short circuit.